Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Love, Love, Love

Love was a huge milestone in my life. I was 27 years old. It generated greater emotions than I had ever known (here is a small sample of that 27 year old in love). The highest highs when together followed by the lowest lows when apart. It's a distant memory now. But after rereading Zora Neale Hurston's autobiography Dust Tracks on a Road, my suspicion is that there is something to Hurston's suspicion. We cannot go back to who we were before we loved. 

From Hurston:

"I have a strong suspicion, but I can't be sure, that much that passes for constant love is a golded-up moment walking in its sleep. Some people know that it is the walk of the dead, but in desperation and desolation, they have staked everything on life after death and the resurrection, so they haunt the graveyard. They build an altar on the tomb and wait there like faithful Mary for the stone to roll away. So the moment has authority over all of their lives. They pray constantly for the miracle of the moment to burst its bonds and spread out over time.

But pay no attention to what I say about love, for as I said before, it may not mean a thing. It is my own bathtub singing. Just because my mouth opens up like a prayer book, it does not just have to flap like a Bible. And then again, anybody whose mouth is cut cross-ways is given to lying, unconsciously as well as knowingly. So pay my few scattering remarks no mind as to love in general. I know only my part.

Anyway, it seems to be the unknown country from which no traveler ever returns. What seems to be a returning pilgrim is another person born in the strange country with the same-looking ears and hands. He is a stranger to the person who fared forth, and a stranger to family and old friends. He is clothed in mystery henceforth and forever. So, perhaps nobody knows, or can tell, any more than I."

No comments:

Post a Comment