Tuesday, January 16, 2024

The Mill Deal (Part 1)

I was naturally drawn toward utilitarianism. John Stuart Mill has impressed me over and over again even though I never took the time to read him. Now I am. I'm starting with his Autobiography, and then I'm going to read his Essays on Bentham and Coleridge

Pending a change of heart and mind, I want to cover the following utilitarians: Bentham, Mill, and Stigwick.

For now, on to Mill.

Education

One of the things often recited about Mill was his education. His father, James Mill, put Mill through a rigorous education. He was taught and reading the classics in Latin and Greek at an early age. Then he was the teacher for his younger siblings.

Chapter 1 of Autobiography is worth reading just to motivate readers to educate their offspring more rigorously. Kids have these magnificent brains. I fear too many parents, schools, and societies are allowing too many kids to miss out on a critical period in their potential development.

I'm not sure how far is too far. Kids need to be able to play. But play could be more like doing intellectual activities, like reading and writing, like Mill. I wonder how many other children were raised similar to Mill? What are the ranges of outcomes from other cases? How much of Mill's success as a young student was due to him being exceptionally smart?

This topic would make for a good reflection later.

Bentham

Mill credits Bentham for blowing his mind with the following idea:

Bentham passed judgment on the common modes of reasoning in morals and legislation, deduced from phrases like "law of nature," "right reason," "the moral sense," "natural rectitude," and the like, and characterized them as dogmatism in disguise, imposing its sentiments upon others under cover of sounding expressions which convey no reason for the sentiment, but set up the sentiment as its own reason.

I'm not sure how true this is. But it feels close. Most people do not study or learn logic. And even those people who do, they don't tend to slow down and take the time to make formal logical arguments. People often impose their arguments with persuasion, and or some bias, to make their ideas sound good. And unless people slow down, sounding good is good enough.

I'm curious to look into Bentham's claim further. And I want pay closer attention for circular reasoning in moral arguments.

Existential Crisis

If the follow quote interests you, read CHAPTER V — 1826-1832 — CRISIS IN MY MENTAL HISTORY. ONE STAGE ONWARD.
"Suppose that all your objects in life were realized; that all the changes in institutions and opinions which you are looking forward to, could be completely effected at this very instant: would this be a great joy and happiness to you?" And an irrepressible self-consciousness distinctly answered, "No!" At this my heart sank within me: the whole foundation on which my life was constructed fell down. All my happiness was to have been found in the continual pursuit of this end. The end had ceased to charm, and how could there ever again be any interest in the means? I seemed to have nothing left to live for.

Chapter V is a great chapter. I could continue with more quotes. But read it yourself. Mill is in a dark depressing place. He luckily gets out and claims to have benefited from the experience.

Let's suppose. All our wants in life are fulfilled. Are we happy? I'm tempted to say probably not. Some of us will. And it really depends on what people want. Does getting what we want include the experience of achieving and working towards those goals and desires. If you have kids and want to travel. How can you accomplish those goals without time? I'm thinking of never enough, hedonic treadmill, and the countless other anecdotes of people with plenty not being happy. I think people are hard wired to keep seeking, wanting, and doing during our reproductive years. Then those goals and ambitions fade as we age and our offspring reach adulthood.

I'm currently listening to The Good Life. Mill and the utilitarians pair very well with The Good Life. I'm hoping to reflect more on this as well. I'm curious to see what the utilitarians say about different types of happiness, like eudaimonic vs hedonic happiness. 

A lot of food for thought here. I'll have to come back to these ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment