Monday, February 7, 2022

Wittgenstein vs Hesse

Here is a brief wiki explanation of Ludwig Wittgenstein's philosophy of language:

"He argues the bewitchments of philosophical problems arise from philosophers' misguided attempts to consider the meaning of words independently of their context, usage, and grammar, what he called "language gone on holiday."

According to Wittgenstein, philosophical problems arise when language is forced from its proper home into a metaphysical environment, where all the familiar and necessary landmarks and contextual clues are removed." (wiki)
 
Here is an except from Siddhartha:

"Quoth Siddhartha: "I've had thoughts, yes, and insight, again and again. Sometimes, for an hour or for an entire day, I have felt knowledge in me, as one would feel life in one's heart. There have been many thoughts, but it would be hard for me to convey them to you. Look, my dear Govinda, this is one of my thoughts, which I have found: wisdom cannot be passed on. Wisdom which a wise man tries to pass on to someone always sounds like foolishness."

"Are you kidding?" asked Govinda.

"I'm not kidding. I'm telling you what I've found. Knowledge can be conveyed, but not wisdom. It can be found, it can be lived, it is possible to be carried by it, miracles can be performed with it, but it cannot be expressed in words and taught. This was what I, even as a young man, sometimes suspected, what has driven me away from the teachers. I have found a thought, Govinda, which you'll again regard as a joke or foolishness, but which is my best thought. It says: The opposite of every truth is just as true! That's like this: any truth can only be expressed and put into words when it is one-sided. Everything is one-sided which can be thought with thoughts and said with words, it's all one-sided, all just one half, all lacks completeness, roundness, oneness."
 
I wonder if Hesse influenced Wittgenstein or vice versa.

My Thirst

Why do I want to learn more knowledge and information? I'm constantly consuming media. The media is largely in academic topics. Siddhartha's ending has me questioning my pursuit of information, knowledge, scientific understanding, and wisdom. Why? Is it much better than entertainment? Is it any better than reading genre fiction or watching movies or tv shows?

Knowledge is all good and grand, but wisdom is the applicable or practical knowledge. Am I getting any wiser from trying to soak up large amounts of knowledge? I know the storage capacity of our brains is practically limitless by our standards, but I feel a trade off between learning new material and knowing something well.

Should I slow down and consume less at a slower rate? Should I choose a topic and dive really deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment