I recently listened to Only God Can Judge Me: The Many Lives of Tupac Shakur by Jeff Pearlman. It's excellent.
As a white kid who loved Tupac growing up, I really appreciated the craft, research, and storytelling by Pearlman. Even know I knew the ending of Tupac's life very well, and till I was so disappointed. This might be the most disappoint story I have ever heard. As a reader, you want Tupac to succeed. But it's disappointment after disappointment.
I thought I knew a decent amount about Tupac. But the details of the book provide so much more context and complexity. I knew about the art schools and poverty, the sex and drugs, but there is really a lot more to it. I didn't realize how horrible Tupac's childhood really was. I also thought the gangster lifestyle was more of a front to make money. I always thought Death Row and Knight were responsible for Tupac's death (Death Row and Knight suck-don't get me wrong). But unfortunately, Tupac was the one responsible for his life and actions.
A couple days ago, I started Rickey: The Life and Legend of an American Original Howard Bryant. I'm still only several chapters, but so far it's excellent too! Bryant provides historical that makes Oakland a crucial character in at least the first part of Rickey's life.
It's a very interesting pair: Tupac vs Rickey.
Rickey was growing up around the guys who founded the Black Panthers while Tupac's mother was one of them. Race and poverty shaped both men. Both struggled with not getting the breaks they wanted as young men.
But then the differences are even more interesting. They were polar opposites in a few ways. Rickey was almost always the best athlete anywhere he went while Tupac couldn't catch, shoot, or play any sports. Tupac read the newspaper every morning while Rickey was unable to read a newspaper when he graduated high school. Tupac was always high or drunk while Rickey never was. Rickey was a faithful husband while Tupac had sex with multiple women a day regardless of his relationship status.
I recommend both books!
No comments:
Post a Comment