Tuesday, July 14, 2020

People to Me

I started listening to Never Enough: The Neuroscience and Experience of Addiction by Judith Grisel-. She recently gave a TED Talk, I didn't listen to yet but I'm sure it is a 12 minute version of her book.

The book is a mix of memoir, Dr. Grisel is a recovered addict, and a science of addiction and drugs. The book is very informative on the subjectively and objectively. All young people should read and study, at least, the content of this book with similar detail of how drugs affect our body.

In the introduction there was a passage that really spoke to me. In fact, I would extend this sentiment to all people and it explains how I see the world.

“...of the addictive experience. I don’t think I was basically a good person who got mixed up with a bad crowd, for instance, or that I was somehow dealt a crummy hand in terms of genes or neurochemistry, parents, or personal history (though these all certainly had an influence). I also don’t think that I am essentially worse than or even different from others: not those spending down their allotment of days under bridges, or in prisons, or for that matter managing PTAs or running for public office. All of us face countless choices, and there is no bright line separating good and bad, order and entropy, life and death. Perhaps as a result of following rules or conventions, some live under the delusion that they are innocent, safe, or deserving of their status as well-fed citizens...”

No comments:

Post a Comment